Advising appointments are held at Smith Career Center!
Appointment length, times, type:
- Typically 30 minutes.
- Career exploration follow-up appointments are often 60 minutes.
- Most appointments are in person.
When appropriate, appointments can be by phone or video (Zoom).
- Held during usual business hours of M-F, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
If those hours do not work for you, please call and explain; our reception staff will work to assist you.
- For mock interviews, see Information about practice interviews.
- Call 540-231-6241, or visit Smith Career Center during office hours.
- Schedule online using Handshake.
Appointments are not scheduled via email.
Appointments are not scheduled to occur the same day you call to schedule.
Aug. to Sep. scheduling alert: Appointment availability is limited during the first four weeks of fall semester due to the large volume of drop-in advising, and extended drop-in hours. Do call us, and we'll work with you on how to best assist you.
Need to schedule a practice, a.ka. mock, interview?
- See practice interviews for options.
- If you must cancel your appointment, you must either call us [540-231-6241] or cancel online using Handshake. An appointment is time given to and held for you, and therefore not available for others.
- No-showing for appointments is highly discourteous and is only excusable in the case of true emergencies.
- Employers view students who no-show for appointments and interviews as unprofessional and unhireable; if we did not tell you that, we would be remiss in our duty to advise you about professionalism and employer expectations. And you understand this if it's been done to you.
Advising topics can include:
Exploration of self, careers, and majors
Seeking experience during college
Developing professionalism skills for success in the workplace
Seeking post-graduation employment
Planning for continued education, including graduate or professional school.