Appointment length, times, type:
- Typically 30 minutes.
- Career exploration follow-up appointments are often 60 minutes.
- Most appointments are in person.
When appropriate, appointments can be by phone or video (Zoom).
- Held during usual business hours of M-F, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
If those hours do not work for you, please call and explain; our reception staff will work to assist you.
- For mock interviews, see Information about practice interviews.
- Call 540-231-6241, or visit Smith Career Center during office hours.
- Schedule online using Handshake.
Appointments are not scheduled via email.
Appointments are not scheduled to occur the same day you call to schedule.
Aug. to Sep. scheduling alert: Appointment availability is limited during the first four weeks of fall semester due to the large volume of drop-in advising, and extended drop-in hours. Do call us, and we'll work with you on how to best assist you.
Need to schedule a practice, a.ka. mock, interview?
- See practice interviews for options.
- If you must cancel your appointment, you must either call us [540-231-6241] or cancel online using Handshake. An appointment is time given to and held for you, and therefore not available for others.
- No-showing for appointments is highly discourteous and is only excusable in the case of true emergencies.
- Employers view students who no-show for appointments and interviews as unprofessional and unhireable; if we did not tell you that, we would be remiss in our duty to advise you about professionalism and employer expectations. And you understand this if it's been done to you.
- By appointment | contact University Studies office | Femoyer 117
- 2018-2019 day / times / dates:
- Wednesdays | 2:00-5:00pm
- Excluding any dates/times the university is closed:
Fall semester 2018: Sep 19 - Nov 28, 2108.
Spring semester 2019: Feb 6 - Apr 17, 2019; excluding spring break week.
Advising topics can include:
Exploration of self, careers, and majors
Seeking experience during college
Developing professionalism skills for success in the workplace
Seeking post-graduation employment
Planning for continued education, including graduate or professional school.