Advising appointments with Career and Professional Development
All advising is by phone or Zoom
As we navigate a continually changing world due to COVID-19, Career and Professional Development has continuously been advising Virginia Tech students. In accordance with the Virginia Tech COVID-19 information for the university community and fall plan, all advising is by phone or Zoom. Our primary concern is for everyone's health and safety.
Career & Professional Development (CPD) provides career-related advising appointments to Virginia Tech undergraduate and graduate students whose programs are based in Blacksburg and Roanoke.
- 30 minutes for most appointments.
- Practice interviews are 30 minutes for undergraduate and master's level students; and 60 minutes for Ph.D. students.
- 60 minutes for career-exploration follow-up (after initial 30-minute appointment).
- If you must cancel your appointment, you must either call us 540-231-6241 or cancel online using Handshake.
- Please don't schedule casually and cancel at the last minute. An appointment is time given to and held for you, and therefore is not available to another student who needs assistance. Thank you for respecting your commitment.
No-showing for an appointment is highly discourteous, and this applies to appointments held by phone or zoom. This is only excusable in the case of a true emergency (not changing your mind, or forgetting).
Employers view students who no-show for appointments and interviews as unprofessional and unhireable. We want you to put your best self forward as you apply for jobs, internships, and graduate school. Employers and admissions staff expect professional, responsible conduct; if we did not tell you that, we would be remiss in our commitment to give you honest advice. If someone tells you it's okay to no-show, that person is not giving you good advice. You know this if you have had someone no-show on you. Practice being well-organized and plan for delays so you establish habits to be a reliable person who keeps your commitments!
Career advising topics can include exploration of self, careers, and majors; seeking experience during college; developing professionalism skills for success in the workplace; seeking post-graduation employment; and planning for graduate or professional school.
If you are uncertain if we can assist you with your topic of concern, please talk to us! Our staff will help determine if you should talk with us or consult another office on campus.
For advising appointments with a CPD advisor, you will usually talk with an advisor who works with students in your college. We also have advisors who work as liaisons to various campus populations. When you schedule in Handshake, you'll be directed to schedule with an appropriate advisor.