Advising appointments with Career and Professional Development
All CPD advising is by phone or Zoom
In accordance with the Virginia Tech COVID-19 information for the university community, all CPD advising is by phone or Zoom. Our primary concern is for everyone's health and safety.
Career and Professional Development (CPD) provides career-related advising appointments to Virginia Tech undergraduate and graduate students whose programs are based in Blacksburg and Roanoke. If you are unable to schedule an appointment through Handshake, please do not hesitate to call us; our reception staff will work to assist you.
- 30 minutes for most appointments.
- 15 minutes for mini-appointments (for resume reviews and quick questions); you usually meet with a Peer Career Advisor.
- Practice interviews are 30 minutes for undergraduate and master's level students; and 60 minutes for Ph.D. students.
- 60 minutes for career-exploration follow-up (after initial 30-minute appointment).
- Business hours: usually M-F, 8am-5pm. See office hours for changes/closings. Same-day appointments are not scheduled.
- During fall and spring semesters, we offer additional evening hours, once per week, for 15-minute mini-appointments. See details about mini-appointments.
- If you have a pressing question, or office hours don't work for you, please call us; our reception staff will work to assist you.
- If you must cancel your appointment, you must either call us 540-231-6241 or cancel online using Handshake.
- Please don't schedule casually and cancel at the last minute. An appointment is time given to and held for you, and therefore is not available to another student who needs assistance. Thank you for respecting your commitment.
No-showing for an appointment is highly discourteous, and this applies to appointments held by phone or Zoom. This is only excusable in the case of a true emergency (not changing your mind, or forgetting).
Employers view students who no-show for appointments and interviews as unprofessional and unhireable. We want you to put your best self forward as you apply for jobs, internships, and graduate school. Employers and admissions staff expect professional, responsible conduct; if we did not tell you that, we would be remiss in our commitment to give you honest advice. If someone tells you it's okay to no-show, that person is not giving you good advice. You know this if you have had someone no-show on you. Practice being well-organized and plan for delays so you establish habits to be a reliable person who keeps your commitments!
Career advising topics can include exploration of self, careers, and majors; seeking experience during college; developing professionalism skills for success in the workplace; seeking post-graduation employment; and planning for graduate or professional school.
If you are uncertain if we can assist you with your topic of concern, please call us! Our staff will help determine if you should talk with us or consult another office on campus.
For advising appointments with a CPD advisor:
- Scheduling in Handshake will give you options to meet with an advisor who serves as a liaison to your college. For some colleges, there are additional advisors (not just the liaison) who advise students in your college.
- We have advisors who serve as liaisons to other VT populations and offices. If you would like to meet with an advisor who is a liaison to a population group, please call us to schedule by phone.
- If, for any reason, you would like to meet with a specific advisor, please call us to schedule by phone. For example, if you met an advisor who conducted a presentation, and would like to meet with that advisor, that would be a reason to give us a call.