Health Professions Advising
Who can use HPA: Any Virginia Tech student, alumna, or alumnus, in any major, can use our services. Although the majority of health professions students choose to major in a science field, it is not required. We encourage you to connect with us during your first year at Virginia Tech.
- To schedule, call 540-231-7287.
- If you call outside office hours, or otherwise reach voicemail, leave a message.
- Appointments are typically 30 minutes long.
- Appointments typically occur M-F between hours:
8:30am to noon.
- Fall 2021 appointments can be by Zoom, phone, or in person.
- We encourage you to attend an HPA 101 session before your first appointment, if your schedule permits.
HPA drop-in advising
advising by Zoom
|Topics||When / Zoom link|
|With HPA advisor||All HPA topics||Fall semester 2021:
From Aug 23-Dec 8 on dates classes are in session; excluding Nov. 5; and see office hours for university and CPD closings.
Zoom link for drop-in.
|With HPA peer career advisor||Resume reviews;
|Fall semester 2021:
From Aug 30-Dec 6 on dates classes are in session; and see office hours for university and CPD closings.
Zoom link for drop in.
To call in by phone for drop-in with an HPA advisor:
(This is not for drop-in with the HPA peer career advisor.)
If you are in Virginia, call 301-715-8592.
When prompted, enter the meeting ID (933 7507 9338).
To join by phone from other locations, call:
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Enter the Meeting ID when prompted: 933 7507 9338
Is your area not listed above? Find your local number at: https://virginiatech.zoom.us/u/ksgiRybjs
Health Professions Advising is located within Career and Professional Development in the Smith Career Center.
HPA 101 and 202 info sessions
- We encourage you to attend one of these sessions prior to advising so that your individual advising session will be more productive.
- These 60-minute info sessions are held during fall and spring semesters.
- See details and schedule on HPA events.
More HPA events
- HPA also offers opportunities to meet with health professionals, professional school reps, and sessions to prepare for interviews and write application materials.
- See HPA events for details.
Getting notices about HPA events
- To receive information about events, complete this brief enrollment form. We will add you to the HPA Hub so you'll receive notice of events.
Exploring health careers
Explore health careers
- NIH: Explore health and medical science careers
- Health career info includes the specific professions listed below (and more).
- 1-credit | A-F graded | fall semester only
- Course: BIOL 1214.
- Fall 2021: Wednesdays, 5:30-6:20pm.
- Format: Virtual and synchronous.
- Open to any interested VT student.
- A variety of health professionals and admissions officers speak to the class about careers, preparation and admission processes.
Preparing and applying to professional schools
- Timeline: what to do from first year through senior year of your undergrad program.
- Academic, extra-curricular, and co-curricular prep.
- FAQs about getting admitted, undergraduate academic preparation, getting experience, and the application process.
Health Professions Evaluation Committee [HPEC]
Many health professional schools/programs expect, encourage, or accept, as part of the admission application process, a "committee letter of evaluation" (also known as a "committee letter") written by the applicant's undergraduate institution. The Health Professions Evaluation Committee (HPEC) at Virginia Tech exists to write these "committee letters." The HPEC writes such letters only after a process which includes a formal interview with the student-applicant.
EXPLORE HEALTH CAREERS
- NIH: Explore health & medical science careers
- Explore Health careers.org includes the specific professions listed below (and more).
- Medicine overview
- Allopathic (M.D.)
- Osteopathic (D.O.)
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Physician assistant
- Veterinary medicine
- And other graduate health professions