Health Professions Advising
Who can use HPA: Any Virginia Tech student, alumna, or alumnus, in any major, can use our services. Although the majority of health professions students choose to major in a science field, it is not required. We encourage you to connect with us during your first year at Virginia Tech.
All advising, whether by appointment or drop-in, is a one-on-one meeting with an HPA professional advisor.
HPA advising by appointment
- Appointments are typically 30 minutes long.
- Offered year round, typically scheduled M-F during hours 8:30am to noon and 1:30-4:30pm ET.
- Can be by Zoom, in person, or by phone.
- During fall and spring semesters, we offer HPA 101 sessions; if your schedule permits, we encourage you to attend a session before your individual appointment.
- To schedule your appointment, call 540-231-7287. If you call outside office hours, or otherwise reach voicemail, leave a message.
HPA drop-in advising on Zoom
Fall 2023 dates and hours:
Mon. Aug 21, through Wed. Dec. 6, 2023, on dates when classes are in session.
- Mon: 1:30-2:30pm ET.
- Tues: 1:30-2:30pm ET.
- Wed: 11:30am-12:30pm ET.
- Thur: 3:30-4:30pm ET.
- Fr: 2-3pm ET.
- Zoom link for drop-in waiting room; from there you'll be moved to a one-on-one meeting.
To call in by phone for drop-in with an HPA advisor:
If you are in Virginia, call 301-715-8592.
When prompted, enter the meeting ID (933 7507 9338).
To join by phone from other locations, call:
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Enter the Meeting ID when prompted: 933 7507 9338
Is your area not listed above? Find your local number at: https://virginiatech.zoom.us/u/ksgiRybjs
Health Professions Advising is a part of Career and Professional Development, located in the Smith Career Center.
HPA 101 and 202 info sessions
- We encourage you to attend one of these sessions prior to advising so that your individual advising session will be more productive.
- These 60-minute info sessions are held during fall and spring semesters.
- See details and schedule on HPA events.
More HPA events
- HPA also offers opportunities to meet with health professionals, professional school reps, and sessions to prepare for interviews and write application materials.
- See HPA events for details.
Getting notices about HPA events
- To receive information about events, complete this brief enrollment form. We will add you to the HPA Hub so you'll receive notice of events.
Exploring health careers
Explore health careers
- NIH: Explore health and medical science careers
- Health career info includes the specific professions listed below (and more).
- 1-credit | A-F graded | fall semester only
- Course: BIOL 1214; CRN 81700. (see the timetable of classes for more information)
- Offered each fall semester; Wednesdays, 5:30-6:20pm.
- Format: In person.
- Open to any interested Virginia Tech student.
- A variety of health professionals and admissions officers speak to the class about careers, preparation, and admission processes.
Preparing and applying to professional schools
- Timeline: what to do from first year through senior year of your undergrad program.
- Academic, extra-curricular, and co-curricular prep.
- FAQs about getting admitted, undergraduate academic preparation, getting experience, and the application process.
Health Professions Evaluation Committee [HPEC]
Many health professional schools/programs expect, encourage, or accept, as part of the admission application process, a "committee letter of evaluation" (also known as a "committee letter") written by the applicant's undergraduate institution. The Health Professions Evaluation Committee (HPEC) at Virginia Tech exists to write these committee letters. The HPEC writes such letters only after a process which includes a formal interview with the student-applicant.
EXPLORE HEALTH CAREERS
- NIH: Explore health & medical science careers
- Explore Health careers.org includes the specific professions listed below (and more).
- Medicine overview
- Allopathic (M.D.)
- Osteopathic (D.O.)
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Physician assistant
- Veterinary medicine
- And other graduate health professions