Will your career path require graduate or professional school?
Career and Professional Development provides advising, online resources, and events for Virginia Tech students who are considering graduate or professional school as a step in your journey toward your career goals. Starting with your first year in college, as you explore career options, you may know of, or discover, career paths that require graduate or professional school in your future.
A sampling of questions to ask yourself:
- Would I plan to enter graduate school directly after completing my undergraduate degree? Or would I work for a period of time before entering grad or professional school? Which is the best path for my career goals?
- Would my goal require a master's degree or a Ph.D., or a professional degree in law or health professions?
- Do I want to be a practitioner or a teacher?
- Do I have interests in research, and therefore need to experience undergraduate research?
- Do I need experience through field studies and/or internships to learn more about the careeer field that requires graduate school?
There are many more questions you may have! We are happy to help you in your process of information gathering and decision-making. Your first year in college is not too soon to start.