Find Schools & Test Prep
For students considering graduate and professional school
Researching schools and programs will open your eyes to the wide variety of graduate and professional education options that exist, and enable you to seek programs that match your career goals and interests. As you research, look for answers to questions important to you, which could include:
- What are the employment and continuing education next steps of students who complete this graduate or professional programs?
- Are most students who enter the graduate program entering directly after the undergraduate degree? Or do they enter with work experience first?
- Is the program geared toward full-time students, or toward part-time students who are maintaining full-time employment?
- If you have research interests: What are the research opportunites and research interests and expertise of the faculty?
- What is the size of the cohort? Do students work closely with fellow students?
Of course there are many other questions that will be important to you based on your individual situation. Graduate and professional school is a large investment of time and money, and requires physical, mental and emotional energy and stamina. A good fit between yourself and the grad program and school is important to determine before you commit to that investment. Be cautious about rankings and so-called "best school" labels. Do your research on the criteria used for these evaluations and focus on what criteria and characteristics are of value to you. The best school for you is the one with the best fit for you, and might be different from the best school for one of your friends.
Online research is your starting point. As you consider schools, make arrangements to connect in person. Plan to visit the campus if possible. Watch for open houses. Make appointments in advance with admissions advisors, and/or graduate program directors, and/or faculty with whom you might want to work on research projects. Watch for opportunities to connect with representatives who might be visiting Virginia Tech, or attending graduate or professional school fairs, to meet with prospective students.
CAUTIONS and DISCLAIMERS about the resources listed below.
- Career and Professional Development does not own or maintain websites external to career.vt.edu that are listed below, and we have no control over their content. We provide links as a service to Virginia Tech students.
- Career and Professional Development does not endorse any specific school or program.
- Career and Professional Development does not endorse any product for sale by any vendor whose website might be listed and linked. You will find both fee and fee-based information and services online. If you choose to purchase fee-based services, do so of your own volition after having researched the options.
- With the exception of Virginia Tech programs, or where noted, resources are listed in alpha order.
General | All programs and fields | RESEARCH SCHOOLS:
Directories: business, engineering, law, medical & online graduate programs.
Search graduate programs by interest and subject.
Search by academic subject and state.
- Peterson's Graduate & Professional Schools
- Princeton Review
- U.S. News Best Grad Schools
General | All programs and fields | TEST PREP
ETS.org - Educational Testing Service
Official administrator of admission tests.
Additional resources in ALPHA ORDER:
- GoGrad.org GRE Guidebook
Free advice and links to additional prep resources.
- GRE Prep Help | greprephelp.com
No affliliation with ETS which offers the official GRE exams.
- Kaplan Test Prep | kaptest.com
Grad admission test prep. Free practice tests & info, plus fee-based services.
Kaplan test score predictor tool: find out in 15 minutes how you might score on a grad admission exam. Choose from: DAT, GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, OAT, PCAT.
Kaplan two-minute "what's next? quiz" that unlocks free test prep workshops and documents.
In your results, scroll down to open resources.
Kaplan test prep course tuition assistance program for 25-60% discounts on test prep courses: The Starting Line
- My GRE tutor.com
Free and detailed resources, including math and verbal review, essays and writing well, practice Qs & tests, vocabulary tutor, study guides.
- Princeton Review.com
Grad admission test prep courses.
Fee-based services. LSAT, GMAT, and GRE prep courses.
- Test Prep Review.com
Free, unofficial review materials for a variety of exams.
- Varsity Tutors.com practice tests
Free practice tests, tutoring.
- Kaplan test prep GMAT
- Kaplan test score predictor tool: find out in 15 minutes how you might score on a grad admission exam. Includes GMAT.
- Masters in International Business.com
Online degree programs.
- MBA.com GMAT info
- MBA Schools list on start class.com
Admitted median GMAT, median GPA admitted, acceptance rate, average post-graduation salary, etc.
- Princeton Review
GMAT test prep
Find grad schools
- Pre-Law Advising at Virginia Tech
Events | Advising | "Is law for me?" | Law Societies | Preparing | Applying.
Your pre-law advisors are most knowledgeable on steering you to resources (some of which are listed below).
- Admissions Dean.com
Law school info: researching schools, LSAT, applying, paying.
- Get Prepped.com LSAT prep
LSAT info; free prep materials, fee-based classes & tutoring.
- Kaplan.com test prep and admissions > LSAT
Free information to read online, plus fee-based prep courses/services.
Kaplan test score predictor tool: find out in 15 minutes how you might score on a grad admission exam. Includes LSAT.
- Law School Admission Council.org
Search for and research schools. Degrees: JD & LLM.
- Law Schools on start class.com
Median LSAT, median GPA, tuition, acceptance rate.
- LSAT Freedom.com/blog
Articles/posts provide free-of-charge advice/comments.
Fee-based prep courses/services.
- My LSAT test.com
Test and essay info. Not affiliated with Law School Admission Council.
- Princeton Review.com
LSAT test prep. Find law schools.
Medicine | Health Professions | Health Administration
- Health Professions Advising [HPA] at Virginia Tech
For all Virginia Tech students; resources and advising for planning for graduate education for all health professions.
- Health Administration Degrees.com: Learn about career fields; research programs by degree, location.
- Kaplan test prep: MCAT | DAT | PCAT | OAT
Kaplan test score predictor tool: find out in 15 minutes how you might score on a grad admission exam. Includes DAT, MCAT, OAT, PCAT.
- Medical schools on start class.com: Enrollment, tuition, median MCAT, median GPA, acceptance rate.
- Princeton Review: MCAT, DAT, OAT test prep courses, find schools.
- U.S. News Best Medical Schools
- Pre-Veterinary advising through Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech
Advice on deciding on the profession, how to prepare, workshops for applicants, and more.
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC)
Students / applicants info. Careers in vet medicine, more.
- Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS)