HPEC information for assessors
Information for individuals who have been asked by an applicant to serve as an "assesor" for the Health Professions Evaluation Committee (HPEC) process
- An applicant is a student or alumnus/alumna who is participating in the Health Professions Evaluation Committee (HPEC process) as a step in applying to medical or other health professional school. (We sometimes use the word students to refer to applicants, but this service is also open to alumni who have graduated within the last two years.)
- An assessor is a person who has been asked by the applicant to complete an online assessment form about the applicant.
- The assessment form is used by HPEC, and is different and separate from reference letters that applicants might request.
How the assessment form is used:
- Please know that your assessment is an integral part of the Health Professions Evaluation Committee (HPEC) process.
- Your assessment of the student/applicant is used by the committee to gain further insight into the student participating in our HPEC process.
- Your assessment form will only be used as part of our committee letter process and composition, and will not be forwarded to any health professional schools.
- Please accept our sincere gratitude in completing the assessment form, as we know this is an additional responsibility you undertake for the benefit of the student/applicant who requests this from you.
Request process and deadline:
- An applicant would initiate a request that you serve as an assessor on behalf of him/her for the Health Professions Evaluation Committee [HPEC] interview process. Applicants are advised they should ask your permission well in advance (starting in October prior to the late-January deadline).
- After the applicant submits your name and email address as an assessor, our system will email you (from HPA@vt.edu) on behalf on the applicant, with a link to an online assessment form. Your completed assessment form will be transmitted confidentially to Health Professions Advising for storage and review.
- The deadline for submitting assessments is late January; see HPEC timeline and deadlines.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email us at email@example.com or call 540-231-7287.