HPEC Deadlines & Process for Students
Timeline during 2019-2020 for students who wish to apply during 2020 to matriculate in fall 2021:
Starting in October 2019: Assessment request process.
- Identify two to five individuals (professors, mentors, supervisors, etc.) who are able to evaluate your preparation, motivation, capacity, and potential for success for your chosen health profession. We highly recommend that at least one be a science professor. You may want to consider asking more than two individuals to complete this process so that you will have at least the two minimum required complete assessments at the time that materials are due.
- These individuals will be referred to as "Assessors" for the HPEC process.
- As a courtesy, we recommend that you make your requests in person.
- Arrange to meet with your potential Assessors starting in October 2019, and at the latest do so by early December. The assessments are due January 31, 2020, by 5:00 pm; and it is considered professional etiquette to allow at least four working weeks for an Assessor to meet your request. Consider end-of-semester workload that your Assessor may have, and consider holiday breaks which are not working weeks.
- Follow up your requests with an email of thanks to each Assessor, including a copy of your resume and other pertinent information not included on your resume, such as the profession you are pursuing.
- Be aware that the Assessor request is separate from the process of asking for letters of recommendation for your school (which are due as part of your application process which occurs after the HPEC process). However, you may be asking the same individuals to write letters of recommendation and to serve as Assessors. If so, it is a courtesy on your part to discuss the fact that you will also be asking for recommendation letters at a later date.
- Details on submitting Assessor names will be available on the HPA Hub (Canvas). Please look for an announcement on Canvas. If you are not yet a member, request to join the HPA Hub (Canvas).
October - November 2019: Review of Applicant Advising Questionnaire
- This is your time period to have an HPA advisor review your completed Applicant Advising Questionnaire to determine your readiness for the HPEC interview. Reviews are strongly recommended. Please note that over 58.7% of those students who did NOT complete an Applicant Advising Questionnaire, and have it reviewed ahead of time by an advisor, performed only at an average level during the HPEC process.
- Bring a printed copy of your completed Applicant Advising Questionnaire.
- Reviews are available by 30-minute appointment or 10-minute drop-in.
- To schedule a 30-minute appointment: Call 540-231-7287 during office hours.
- To use HPA 10-minute drop-in advising, visit during these dates / days / hours:
- Dates: Tuesdays and Wednesdays, Oct. 1 - Nov. 20, 2019
- Hours: Tuesdays, 10am - 12 noon | Wednesdays, 1-3 pm
Starting December 2019: Work on, seek reviews of your HPEC Interview Application.
- Work on your application:
In December, begin working on your HPEC Interview Application, allowing ample time for review before January 30. HPEC Interview Application form details and download instructions are available on the HPA Hub in early December. Not a member of the HPA Hub? Request to join.
- Seek reviews and assistance with your application:
Available by drop-in or appointment:
Tues. 10am-noon: Dec. 10, Jan. 21.
Wed. 1-3pm: Dec. 11, Jan. 22.
Appointment, scheduled in advance.
Open dates will be approximately M-F Dec. 9-13, 16-20, 2019, and M-F Jan. 6-16, 13-17, Tu-F Jan 21-24, M-Th Jan 27-30, 2020.
- Reviews are not available after Jan. 30.
Fr. Jan. 17, 2020, 5pm: Deadline to email email@example.com IF you intend to mail your hard copy.
Fr. Jan. 24, 2020, 3-4pm: Attend application workshop.
- Workshop: Advanced Tools to Make Your Application Shine
- Location: Smith Career Center Room A
- HPA advisors will review the components for a complete HPEC Interview application, discuss common mistakes, and highlight ways to make your content shine! Participants are asked to bring a rough draft of your application to use during the workshop.
What constitutes a completed HPEC Interview/Application:
You (the student) submit:
- Completed HPEC application form
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions (including for D.E. coursework)
- Up-to-date resume (seek advice during drop-in, review format in the Career Planning Guide)
Mon. Jan. 27 - Thur. Jan. 30, 2020: Early turn-in to avoid long lines.
- Hours: 8am-1pm and 2-5pm.
- When you believe your HPEC Interview/Application materials are complete and ready to be submitted, bring them to the HPA Office (Rm. 132).
- This will be a check for completeness, and not a review.
- If complete, we will confirm that you have submitted your hard copy application before the deadline.
Fr. Jan. 31, 2020, 5pm: Deadline to submit completed hard copy and online HPEC Interview/Applications.
- If you wait until this deadline, you can expect long lines.
- We will check your application to determine if it is complete. If your application materials are not complete, there is no deadline extension.
- Reviews, as stated above, are not available on this date.