HPEC Deadlines & Process for Students
Timeline during 2018-2019 for students who wish to apply during 2019 to matriculate in fall 2020:
Starting in October 2018: Assessment request process.
- Identify two to five individuals (professors, mentors, supervisors, etc.) who are able to evaluate your preparation, motivation, capacity, and potential for success for your chosen health profession. We highly recommend that at least one be a science professor. You may want to consider asking more than two individuals to complete this process so that you will have at least the two minimum required complete assessments at the time that materials are due.
- These individuals will be referred to as "Assessors" for the HPEC process.
- As a courtesy, we recommend that you make your requests in person.
- Arrange to meet with your potential Assessors starting in October 2018, and at the latest do so by early December. The assessments are due January 31, 2019, by 5:00 pm; and it is considered professional etiquette to allow at least four working weeks for an Assessor to meet your request. Consider end-of-semester workload that your Assessor may have, and consider holiday breaks which are not working weeks.
- Follow up your requests with an email of thanks to each Assessor, including a copy of your resume and other pertinent information not included on your resume, such as the profession you are pursuing.
- Be aware that the Assessor request is separate from the process of asking for letters of recommendation for your school (which are due as part of your application process which occurs after the HPEC process). However, you may be asking the same individuals to write letters of recommendation and to serve as Assessors. If so, it is a courtesy on your part to discuss the fact that you will also be asking for recommendation letters at a later date.
- Details on submitting Assessor names will be available on the HPA Hub (Canvas). Please look for an announcement on Canvas. Not a member of the HPA Hub? Request to join.
October - November 2018: Review of Applicant Advising Questionaire
- This is your time period to have an HPA advisor review your completed Applicant Advising Questionnaire
to determine your readiness for the HPEC interview. Reviews are strongly recommended. Please note that over 58.7% of those students who did NOT complete an Applicant Advising Questionaire, and have it reviewed ahead of time by an advisor, performed only at an average level during the HPEC process.
- Bring a printed copy of your completed Applicant Advising Questionaire.
- Reviews are available by 30-minute appointment or 10-minute drop-in.
- To schedule a 30-minute appointment: Call 540-231-7287 during office hours.
- To use HPA 10-minute drop-in advising: Stop in during these hours [offered all fall and spring semesters when classes are in session]:
- Tues. 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Wed. 1:00 - 3:30 pm
December 2018 to January 30, 2019: Work on, seek HPEC interview application reviews, and finalize your HPEC Interview Application
- In December, begin working on your HPEC Interview Application, allowing ample time for review before January 30. HPEC Interview Application form details and download instructions are available on the HPA Hub in early December. Not a member of the HPA Hub? Request to join.
- Reviews and assistance with your application are available by appointment or drop-in advising. Additional drop-in advising hours in January are shown below.
- Attend the January workshop described below.
- Reviews are not available after Jan. 30.
January 15-30, 2019: extra drop-in hours for review of HPEC Interview Application
|In addition to the regular Tues. 11am-2pm, and Wed. 1-3:30pm drop-in advising time, more times have been added for HPEC Interview Application reviews, as follow:|
|Tues.||Jan. 15, 2019||11 am - 2 pm|
|Wed.||Jan. 16, 2019||1 - 3:30 pm|
|Thur.||Jan. 17, 2019||9 - 11 am|
|Fri.||Jan. 18, 2019||2 - 3 pm|
|Tues.||Jan. 22, 2019||11 am - 2 pm|
|Wed.||Jan. 23, 2019||1 - 3:30 pm|
|Thur.||Jan. 24, 2019||9 - 11 am|
|Mon.||Jan. 28, 2019||9 - 11 am|
|Tues.||Jan. 29, 2019||11 am - 2 pm|
|Wed.||Jan. 30, 2019||1 - 3:30 pm|
Fri. Jan. 25, 2019, 3:00-4:00 pm: Workshop
|HPEC Interview Application Workshop:
Advanced Tools to Make Your Application SHINE!
Smith Career Center Rm. A
|HPA advisors will review the components for a complete HPEC Interview application, discuss common mistakes, and highlight ways to make your content shine! Participants are asked to bring a rough draft of your application to use during the workshop.|
|Fri.||Jan. 25, 2019||3:00-4:00pm|
Thur. Jan. 24, 2019, 5:00 pm:
Deadline to contact HPA if you need to mail your hard copies.
- If you are not located in Blacksburg and need to mail your hard copies, you must first email email@example.com by Thurs., January 24, 2019, to discuss arrangements in order to meet the due date.
Thur. Jan. 31, 2019, 5:00 pm: Deadline.
No submissions accepted after this date/time.
- Submit completed HPEC Interview/Application packet to the assignment on the HPA Hub [Canvas].
- A printed hard copy version of the packet must also be submitted to HPA office. If you are not located in Blacksburg and need to mail your hard copies, as stated above, you must first email firstname.lastname@example.org by Thurs., January 24, 2019, to discuss arrangements in order to meet the due date.
Feb. 13-22, 2019:
Sign up period for HPEC interview.
March 20 - May 8, 2019:
Time period for HPEC interviews.
April - Aug. 2019:
Opening of Centralized Application Services.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email us at email@example.com or call 540-231-7287.