Students with disabilities will face the same challenges as all job seekers, and may also have specific questions or issues that arise related to your disability. On this page is information about advising and resources specifically relevant to students with disabilities and your career development journey.
We are glad to assist you through advising.
Uncertainty about whether you have a disability
- If you are uncertain if you have a disability, you are encouraged to contact Services for Students with Disabilities [SSD] office at Virginia Tech.
For a more in-depth conversation about job search
Disclosing a disability to an employer
- There are many things to consider when deciding if/when to disclose a disability to an employer. You might consider discussing the options with your Services for Students with Disabilities counselor, or with Liz Wilson in CPD.
Workforce Recruitment Program
The Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) connects federal and private sector employers to eligible students and recent graduates with disabilities and serves as the primary pipeline for bringing new hires into the federal government. For more information, see our federal job search resources and on the menu see "Students with disabilities."
Job and Internship Resources
Some employers specifically seek out students with disabilities to hire into internship and job roles. Similarly, some websites exist solely to assist the job seeker who has a disability. Below are some of the resources that may be helpful in your job or internship search.
- American Association of People with Disabilities Summer Internship Program
Internships with congressional offices, federal agencies, non-profits, and for-profit organizations in the Washington, DC, area, for undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent graduates.
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network Freddie Mac Internship Program
For current students or recent graduates on the autism spectrum to gain work experience from a leading mortgage finance company.
- Emerging Leaders Internship Program
Competitive program that places top undergraduate and graduate college students with disabilities in fulfilling internships nationwide.
- Entry Point!
Internship and co-op opportunities for students with disabilities studying in science, engineering, mathematics, computer science, and business.
- Job Accommodation Network [JAN]
Comprehensive job search resource which also provides information on accommodations.
- Kennedy Performing Arts Center Experiential Education Initiative Internship Program
- Students must have a documented intellectual disability and will gain exposure to the performing arts and an opportunity to improve job-related skills.
- U.S. International Council on Disabilities Youth in Development Internships Program
For students with disabilities interested in international development or foreign affairs careers.
- 1800 Wheelchair
Articles and resources to help people with disabilities find employment.
Employment website for job seekers with disabilitiesJob search function for people with disabilities, including job listings, resources, FAQs.
Job search function for people with disabilities. Also lists employer partners seeking to create an inclusive workplace.
- American Foundation for the Blind
Resources for visually impaired students.
- Autism @ Work Roundtable Job Marketplace
Listing of companies that are members of the Autism @ Work Roundtable, the types of roles they usually have available, and how to apply to each company. In some cases, these companies have alternative hiring practices that are inclusive to people with autism spectrum disorders.
- Careers and the disABLED
A monthly magazine featuring articles on career guidance and recruitment for people with disabilities.
- Career Opportunities for Students with Disabilities [COSD]
Organization that works to assist college students and recent graduates with your job search.
- DisABLED Person Inc.
Extensive job board listings.
- Federal Jobs for the Disabled Hiring Programs
Comprehensive information and lists of jobs for people with disabilities in the federal government.
- Getting Hired
Nationwide job listings, as well as blog posts and webinars to help you on your job search. Has a section specifically for students.
- Job Accommodation Network [JAN]
Source of free, expert, confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues, including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Lime Connect
Global nonprofit that works to prepare college students with disabilities for scholarships, internships, and full-time careers.
- National Business and Disability Council
Great online resources for job seekers with disabilities, including job and internship postings, local resource directories, webcasts, and more.
- Our Ability
Resources to help employers and job seekers connect.
- Recruit Disability
Job board, and students can also post your resume for hiring employers to view. General job search advice is also offered.
- Workplace Diversity
Organization that helps employers find diverse job candidates for inclusive work environments.