Resources for student veterans
Virginia Tech Career and Professional Development (CPD) is grateful for the service of our student veterans, military service members, and their families. We are committed to serving student veterans throughout your transition into higher education and employment after graduation. Recognizing the unique skills and experiences of veterans and military service members, we have provided the resources here.
When you seek advising through CPD, you usually will speak with an advisor who works with students in your college. Please see advising appointments.
Handouts and worksheets for student veterans
- Resources for exploring majors and careers
- Explore VT undergraduate majors
View alpha, by college, or by areas of interest.
- My Next Move for Veterans
Search careers by keywords, industry, and civilian careers that compare to your military job.
- CareerOneStop information for veterans
Information about a variety of jobs and careers hosted by the Department of Labor. Search by keywords, industry, or careers that compare to your military job.
Find jobs and internships
Where employers can post jobs for VT students, and schedule campus visits to interview students: On-Campus Interviewing [OCI] program.
To find internships, jobs, and contacts in every industry and location.
- About getting experience includes sources for finding internships.
- Career field-specific job and internship resources
- More job search resources we've collected
- National Resource Directory
Online partnership connecting military, veterans, and families to resources including employment opportunities, family and caregiver support, and more.
Job board for veterans and military spouses. Job fairs and career search resources.
- Virginia Education Wizard: Resources for Student Veterans
Search for civilian careers using your military experience. Free career assessments regarding interests, skills, and values.
- Student Veterans of America: Hiring Tomorrow's Leaders
Employment opportunities at veteran-friendly companies. Includes full time, part time, and internships. Jobs are searchable by location, type of job, or military job title or code.
- Hire Heroes USA
Job opportunities for veterans and spouses. Training programs, workshops, and resume resources.
- Corporate Gray: Connecting Employers with Military Veterans
Job postings and job fairs with military-friendly employers.
Military-to-civilian transition guide.
Veterans preference and federal employment
Applying to graduate or professional school
- See our planning for graduate or professional school for additional resources.
- Virginia Tech Office of Veterans Services: Student Resources
VT resources for student veterans, including information about undergraduate and graduate admissions at VT. At Virginia Tech, application fees are waived for veterans.
- Accredited Online Schools
Search for online accredited colleges and universities; search by state, degree, degree category, subject. Results can also be narrowed by type of school (public, private non-profit) and degree level.
Additional campus resources
- Virginia Tech Office of Veterans Services
Assists student veterans with your benefits; serves as point of contact for all student veterans. Provides links to a variety of campus resources.
Transitioning from military to civilian
- Boots to Suits
Provides clothing vouchers for Virginia Veterans transitioning from military life to civilian careers. Each veteran receives two complimentary career outfits. Job-seeking military spouses who are primary household providers are also eligible.
- Translating Military Experience to Civilian Terms
Provides both guidance and resources to help translate military experience to civilian terms.
- The Value of Your Military Experience
Brief article providing guidance regarding articulating the value of your military experience.
- Quintessential Careers: Job Transitioning for Veterans and Former Military
Military-to-Civilian career resources including job search tools, entrepreneurship, networking, resumes, and more.
- Learn How to Become: Veterans Guide to Getting Hired
Job search and resume writing resources for veterans.