For Faculty & Staff
We look forward to working with you. There are many ways we can partner to help our students in their process of career exploration and professional development. We work with students from first-year through graduate level.
Faculty guide: ethical & legal standards in student hiring
Also from NACE, brief, thorough guide on recruitment issues facing faculty and suggested courses of action.
Career & Professional Development (CPD) provides career-related advising to Virginia Tech students of all academic levels and majors on the Blacksburg campus (and those in TBMH at the Roanoke campus). We can steer each student toward resources that will best fit her/his needs. See advising for most up-to-date information on scheduling.
Thank you for your interest in supporting your students' career development! If you wish to refer a group of students to use our services, with a deadline you have set, please call us at least two weeks in advance, to discuss timing and preparation on the part of the students.
Whom to call:
- If you already have a working relationship with one of our staff members, please contact her/him.
- Otherwise, please email Amy McPherson or call our main number.
Our desires are to work with you and to assist your students. We have, and encourage, relationships with faculty and staff in which we plan the timing of your students' seeking advising so that we can accomodate them (knowing number of students expected, and planning sufficient time for appointments to be scheduled). By calling us well in advance, we can work together to best meet the needs of our students with our existing resources. Thank you!
- Students who seek our advising services for reviews of resumes, cover letters, reference lists, or other documents, whether of their own initiative or because of a class assignment, are strongly encouraged to prepare using the materials developed for them prior to visiting our office.
- They may read and use:
Preparation is truly beneficial because resume reviews are to help individual studenst fine-tune their resumes. We can best serve well-prepared students with conversation focused on their individual situations and career interests.
For practice interview assignments for classes, we provide Interview Stream. Please feel free to call us to discuss how students can use Interview Stream.
For individual students seeking practice, we provide two options:
- Interview Stream
- As an online practice tool, Internet access and a webcam are required.
- Available any time.
- Free for anyone with a PID.
- No need to schedule a time, consult anyone, or ask permission.
- After recording practice interviews, students can email access to others for critiques, which could be done individually, or in the classroom setting.
- Appointments available by advance arrangement
- If you wish to require all students in a class to have a one-on-one practice interview with an advisor, please call us first, at least two weeks in advance, to discuss your goals, needs, the number of students involved, and preparation required of your students. We look forward to working with you to determine the best means and timing to meet your students' needs. To begin scheduling or gather any additional information, please call our main number.