Award for Excellence in Career Advising
For faculty and staff at Virginia Tech who provide career advising to undergraduates
For non-CPD faculty and staff at Virginia Tech who provide career advising to undergraduate students
About the award
- The Award for Excellence in Career Advising was established in 1989 to recognize the value of career advising at Virginia Tech.
- It is presented annually to an individual within Virginia Tech [and external to Career and Professional Development] who provides career advising to undergraduate students at Virginia Tech.
- Nominees must be faculty or staff members at Virginia Tech [and external to Career and Professional Development] who provide career advising to undergraduate students at Virginia Tech.
- Personal characteristics such as creativity, communication skills, concern for students, and enthusiasm as they pertain to the role of career advisor.
- The development of innovative career advising resources and outreach programs for the academic department or other undergraduate student population with whom the advisor works.
- While these individuals might also serve as academic advisors, it is important to distinguish their career advising accomplishments.
Nomination and selection process
- The call for nominations goes out each fall. Nominations are welcomed from students, faculty and staff. See advising.vt.edu for complete information.
- Since 2002-2003, a $500 monetary award is given to the award recipient.
2018: Dr. Lisa M. Tucker | Interior Design, School of Architecture + Design
2016-2017: Dr. Jody Thompson Marshall | MAOP
2015: Dr. Marlene Preston | Communication
2014: Dr. Alex Niemiera | Horticulture
2013: Dr. Matt Eick | Crop & Soil Environmental Science
2012: Ms. Mary Taylor | Electrical & Computer Engineering
2011: Ms. Donna Sedgwick | Sociology
2010: Ms. Lorraine Borny | Management
2009: Mr. Derek Klock | Finance, Insurance, & Business Law
2008: Ms. Mary Ellen Verdu | Human Development
2007: Dr. Wayne Moore | Pre-law Advising
2006: Dr. Jerry Williams | Horticulture
2005: Dr. Rosemary Goss | Apparel, Housing, & Resource Management
2004: Dr. Alan McDaniel | Horticulture
2003: Ms. Vickie Mouras | Civil & Environmental Engineering
2002: Dr. Ed Bunce | Pre-medical & pre-dental Advising
2001: Dr. Ruth Lytton | Near Environments
2000: Ms. Sarah Wheeler | College of Engineering
1999: Ms. Pam Crewey | Electrical & Computer Engineering
1998: Dr. William Eigel | Food Science & Technology
1997: Dr. Harold Bell | Chemistry
1996: Dr. David Parrish | Crop & Soil Environmental Science
1995: Dr. Thomas Howard | History
1994: Dr. Leslie Graham Pendleton | Industrial & Systems Engineering
1993: Dr. George Simmons | Biology
1992: Ms. Virginia McWhorter | Electrical Engineering
1991: Ms. Sandra Birch | Computer Science
1990: Dr. Bill Beal | Animal & Poultry Sciences
Ms. Amy McPherson
Senior Associate Director
Career and Professinal Development (0128)
Smith Career Center