Offered fall and spring semesters:
15-minute mini-appointments are offered virtually and in person.
Mini-appointments by advance scheduling
- Mini-appointments are scheduled at least 24 hours in advance, and give you a set 15-minute timeslot for advising.
- If you realize you would like a mini-appointment within under 24 hours, you may call us to ask if we have an opening.
- Check our office hours for closings or changes to advising hours.
- Mini-appointments are available virtually and in person.
NO drop-in advising
- Due to CDC guidelines, and for the safety of our community, there is NO drop-in advising.
- The drop-in process did not provide an appointment and was not a guarantee of advising; it caused overcrowding in a limited indoor space.
Multiple modes, safety, masks
- Advising will be offered both virtually and in person starting fall 2021.
- In-person advising is held in the Smith Career Center.
- Please do not come in person to Smith Career Center if you are not feeling well or have cold symptoms. Instead change to a virtual appointment or re-schedule.
- The Virginia Tech Ready site provides information about health and safety for the university community, including mask requirements.
- Mini-appointments are for quick resume reviews, quick cover letter reviews, and other very brief advising.
- Before a resume review, see our resume guide and reference list instructions.
- Before a cover letter review, see cover letter guidelines.
- Some common questions that students ask are answered in our Career Q&A Today quick videos by our CPD advisors, and might help answer your questions.
Alternative timing and amount of time with advisor
- Students seeking advising during summer, breaks, or other times when mini-appointments are not available, are welcome to schedule a regular advising appointment. Most regular advising appointments are scheduled for 30 minutes.
- Mini-appointments are for 15 minutes. If you need more time, schedule a regular 30-minute advising appointment.
- If you have a brief question and are not sure if you need advising, please call our office.
Career Q&A Today are quick videos by our CPD advisors that might answer your question.