DROP-IN USUALLY M-F, NOON-3PM. Not always.
- We look forward to meeting you and assisting you!
- Drop-in has a limit of 10 minutes.
- Drop-in is for questions with quick answers, and brief reviews of resumes or cover letters.
- Before a resume review, use our Career Planning Guide and/ or resume guide and reference list instructions.
- Before a cover letter review, use our Career Planning Guide and/or cover letter guidelines
- If you need an overview on resume basics, use our resume guide or the Career Planning Guide first.
- Drop-in is to help you fine-tune and individualize your resume so you can make revisions to best serve your purposes.
- We are happy to schedule you for an advising appointment for exploration of careers and majors, and other topics that require more time.
- For drop-in, you'll be seen by the Peer Career Advisor or professional staff member available. If you wish to see a specific advisor, schedule an advising appointment
- Drop-in advising is first-come, first-served, and is not an appointment.
- Career fairs generate a high volume of students seeking drop-in advising, so if you are preparing for a career fair, plan ahead by a week or two.
- There is no guarantee we can see every student if drop-in numbers exceed our capacity.
- Do the preparation explained above in purpose of drop-in.
- If you have a class (or other) assignment to use drop-in advising, don't wait until your deadline. If too many students are waiting ahead of you, you take the risk that you might not receive advising on that day.
- Bring a hard copy for reviews of documents including resumes, cover letters, and personal statements.
- If you don't have access to a printer, just ask at the reception desk when you check in about how to print at Smith Career Center.
- Mon-Thur Aug 20-23: 10am-4pm.
- Fri Aug 24: NO drop-in advising.
[Open house tailgate 10am-3pm]
- Mon Aug 27: NO drop-in advising.
[Career Outfitters 10am-4pm]
- Tues Aug 28: Drop-in 1-4pm.
[Career Outfitters 9am-noon]
- Wed-Fri Aug. 29-31: 10am-4pm.
- Mon Sep 3: University closed.
- Tues-Fri Sep 4-7: 10am-4pm.
- Mon-Fri Sep 10-14: 10am-4pm.
See office hours for other university & CPD closings.
Alternative to drop-in advising:
- If drop-in hours do not work with your schedule...
- If you prefer a scheduled time...
- If you want more than 10 minutes with an advisor...
You are welcome to schedule an advising appointment
Satellite locations & hours for 10-minute drop-in advising:
If satellite hours do not work for your schedule, please use drop-in advising at Smith Career Center.
For graduate students:
Graduate Life Center, lobby
Wednesdays | 2:00 - 5:00 pm
Fall semester 2018 dates: Sep. 19 - Dec. 5, 2018 [not held Nov. 21, when university closes at noon]
Spring semester 2019 dates: tentative: Jan. 23 - May 1, 2019 [not held during spring break]
For College of Engineering students:
TBA for 2018-2019
2017-2018: Torgersen Hall 1st floor atrium
Wednesdays | 2:00 - 5:00 pm
Fall semester 2017 dates: Sep. 13 - Nov. 29, 2017 [not held Nov. 22 when university closes at noon]
Spring semester 2018 dates: Feb. 5 - Apr. 25, 2018 [not held during spring break]