Fall and spring semesters only.
Fall 2019 drop-in will usually be M-F, 11am-3pm, but not always!
Plus extended hours M. 8/26 - Tu. 9/17/19
See when & where.
- We look forward to meeting you and assisting you!
- 10-minute limit.
- Is for questions with quick answers; brief reviews of resumes, cover letters.
- See before resume, cover letter reviews.
- Not for career exploration and other topics that take more time: for those, please schedule an advising appointment.
- At drop-in, you'll meet with a Peer Career Advisor. If you wish to see a specific professional advisor, you may schedule an appointment.
Location: Smith Career Center.
Fall semester 2019:
M-F, 11am-3pm, starting Mon. Aug. 19, 2019, one week before classes begin.
Extended hours 10am-4pm, Mon. Aug. 26, through Tues. Sep. 17, 2019 (except NOT Mon. Sep. 2, when university is closed).
See office hours for VT & CPD closings.
Spring semester 2020: TBA.
Summer: No drop-in advising. You are welcome to schedule an advising appointment.
- Graduate Life Center (GLC) Main Lobby.
For graduate students.
One afternoon per week:
Starts: Thur. Sep. 19, 2019.
Ends: Thur. Dec. 5, 2019.
[not held when univ. closed.]
- Torgersen 1st floor atrium.
For engineering students.
One afternoon per week; dates and times TBD for fall 2019.
- When drop-in is not offered...
- If drop-in hours do not work with your schedule...
- If you prefer a scheduled time...
- If you want more than 10 minutes with an advisor...
... You are welcome to schedule an advising appointment.
- Before a resume review, use our Career Planning Guide and/or resume guide and reference list instructions.
- Before a cover letter review, use our Career Planning Guide and/or cover letter guidelines
- If you need an overview on resume basics, use our resume guide or the Career Planning Guide first.
- Drop-in is to help you fine-tune and individualize your resume so you can make revisions to best serve your purposes.
- Bring a hard copy; if you don't have access to a printer, just ask at the reception desk when you check in about how to print at Smith Career Center.
- Drop-in is first-come, first-served; not an appointment.
- Many students seek drop-in before career fairs. There is no guarantee we can talk with every student if traffic exceeds our capacity, so plan ahead by a week or two!
- Do the preparation explained in "before resume reviews...."
- If you have a class (or other) assignment to use drop-in advising, don't wait until your deadline. If too many students are waiting ahead of you, you take the risk that you might not receive advising on that day.