How to assist students in using Handshake:
- Feel free to explore the information for students and encourage your student advisees to open and use their Handshake accounts.
- Students' Handshake accounts display information and opportunities to them based on their qualifications and their activity in their accounts.
- Have your students / advisees open their accounts on their laptops and you can view their accounts with them.
- The Handshake developers built it to be student-user friendly.
Is it necessary for you to have an account to assist students?
- It is not required to have an account to assist students. Do as recommended above: Have your students open their own accounts which display information and opportunities based on their qualifications and activity. Help your students/advisees by viewing their accounts with them. You can ask them to show you the profile information they have entered for themselves.
If you still wish to have a student account:
FIRST, BE AWARE:
- The account you request is a real student account. It is not a demo or "dummy" account.
You are responsible for using the account in an appropriate manner.
For example you should not make your profile public or apply for jobs.
There is no such thing as a "faculty" or "advisor" account.
- If you also act as an EMPLOYER in Handshake, posting jobs in your department for students:
Use an alias email address to establish your employer account. (Handshake information for employers.)
Why? Because a student account requires use of your real PID email address, and Handshake will not permit anyone to have both an employer and student account using the same email address.
If you have already established an employer account using your real PID email address:
You can change your employer account email address to an alias.
How to request a student account:
- If you are a CURRENT STUDENT at Virginia Tech (in addition to being an employee):
- You have and can open your student account.
- If you are a Virginia Tech ALUMNA / ALUMNUS:
- If you are a VT F/S member, and NOT a student, and NOT a past graduate:
- You may request an account by following the instructions for alumni and VT F/S who wish to REQUEST an account.