Handshake information for VT advisors, faculty, and staff
- Feel free to explore the information for students and encourage your student advisees to open and use their Handshake accounts.
- Students' Handshake accounts display information and opportunities to them based on their qualifications and their activity in their accounts.
- Have your students / advisees open their accounts on their laptops and you can view their accounts with them. Ask them to show you the profile information they have entered for themselves.
- The Handshake developers built it to be student-user friendly.
- BE AWARE: The account you request is a real student account. It is not a demo or "dummy" account.
- You are responsible for using the account in an appropriate manner.
For example you should not make your profile public or apply for jobs.
There is no such thing as a "faculty" or "advisor" account.
- You might have, or want, an employer account if your VT department hires students and you wish to post those jobs or internships in Handshake.
- YOUR EMPLOYER AND STUDENT ACCOUNTS CANNOT USE THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS. Handshake does not permit this.
- You must use your real VT PID email address for your student account.
- Therefore, use an alias email address for your employer account.
(See Handshake information for employers.)
If you have already established an employer account using your real PID email address, you can change your employer account email address to an alias. (4help: How to create an alias for your Virginia Tech email account.)
- If you are a CURRENT STUDENT at Virginia Tech (in addition to being an employee):
- You have and can open your student account.
- If you are a Virginia Tech ALUMNA / ALUMNUS:
- If you are a VT F/S member, and NOT a student, and NOT a past graduate:
- You may request an account by following the instructions for alumni and VT F/S who wish to REQUEST an account.