How to find the OCI jobs in Handshake
- Log in to Handshake
- Shown in screen capture above:
- Click on "jobs" in top horizontal menu.
- Don't click "on-campus." Those are jobs on campus, not interviews on campus.
- Select On-Campus Interviews.
- This displays the employers who have scheduled an interview room on campus and whose interview date is in the future.
- You can apply for any job of interest as long as the "apply deadline" has not passed.
- You can filter on "interview type." Options are "room only," "preselect," and "open." For employers who are "room only" you might see a past application deadline. This means the employer will fill their interview slots in other ways, and there is no action for you to take.
Screen capture below showing multiple employers with on-campus interview dates.
- Click on the employer logo or name to view jobs.
- Read the job description for each job of interest.
- Determine your interest and qualifications for each job.
- Apply for each job for which you want to be considered by the employer.
- Only apply for positions and employers that truly interest you. Never sign up for an interview for practice. This is fully explained in expectations of students in the Position Statement about Campus Recruiting.
- You'll see an icon to "apply" or "apply externally."
"Apply externally" means that you'll be taken to the employer's website to apply.
- Be aware that:
- Applying does not guarantee you an interview.
- Applying does not require you to sign up for an interview if you are offered one.
- For your advance planning, note that:
- Application deadlines are based on the week in which the interview occurs, and are usually about three weeks before the interview week. This allows employers time to review resumes of applicants and choose students for interviews.
- In 2018-2019, fall semester has eight interview weeks, and spring semester has seven interview weeks.
- The first application deadline, for the first interview week in fall, is September 2.
Sign up and prepare
- If you are selected for an interview, you'll receive an email telling you how to sign up for a time slot. Step-by-step instructions are also below.
- Selected students are not required to sign up, but if you do sign up, and you don't cancel by the deadline, you have committed yourself to attend.
- Prior to signing up, read the Cancellation & Missed Interview Policy.
- Interviews are usually, but not always, 30 minutes long. Each interview begins at a specific time.
- Sign-up dates are usually, but not always, the week prior to the interview week. (For interview weeks immediately following school break weeks, sign-ups are usually two weeks prior.)
- Selected students have a four-day period to sign up to be guaranteed an interview spot; specific interview time is first-come, first-served.
- If the employer chose alternate students, alternates have a two-day period to try to sign up if there are any open slots in the schedule (no guarantees for alternates). Selected students may also try to sign up during this period, but there is no longer a guarantee of an open slot.
- Cancellation can occur throughout the sign-up period.
- Deadline for all sign-up and cancellation is 11:59 p.m. Thursday of the sign-up period.
- Prepare for your interview(s)!
- Log in to Handshake.
- Click on “jobs” in top horizontal menu.
- Select "Applications" (circled in screen capture below).
- Select the interview for which you have been marked “Primary” to secure an interview timeslot.
- Click “Take Slot” to reserve that time for yourself to interview.
Attend your interview
- Signing up for an interview is your choice, and is a professional business appointment and commitment. As stated above, prior to signing up, you are required to read the Cancellation and Missed Interview Policy.
- Location: Smith Career Center, second floor check-in and waiting area.
- Factor in time for parking and arrival so that you can check in and be seated five or ten minutes prior to your interview start time.
- There are changing areas in the women's and men's restrooms on the second floor; you are welcome to use those facilities to change in to your interview attire.