Accepting a Job Offer
Accepting a job offer ethically obligates you to:
- Keep your word. See ethical issues related to accepting an offer.
- Cease job search efforts.
- Promptly notify other employers who have communicated to you that you are under consideration that you must withdraw your name from their consideration. Failing to notify employers that you are withdrawing from the job search is discourteous, and potentially dishonest. It's essentially leaving the employer with a misperception that you are still interested in the job.
- First means of notice: a courteous phone call. Make every effort to speak to your contact in person rather than leaving a voice mail message for this purpose.
- Follow up your phone call in writing. If you need help, start with the sample below. Use email or hard copy depending on the pattern and means of communication you have had with the employer, and follow any instructions the employer has given.
Sample acceptance email:
March 1, 20xx
Mr. Johnathon P. Summers
Summers Fruit Company
Atlanta, GA 46201
Dear Mr. Summers:
Thank you for your offer of employment as a horticultural associate at your Fruitville, Florida, site. As we discussed on the phone this morning, I am very happy to accept your offer and look forward to beginning work with Summers Fruit Company.
As instructed, I have reviewed, signed, scanned, and attached the letter confirming my understanding of the salary and benefits, start date, and other terms of employment. I look forward to seeking housing before my start date on August 1st. In the meantime, please let me know if I can provide you with any information, and I will contact you if I have questions.
Again, thank you for offering me this exciting opportunity. I am very enthused about beginning my career with you after graduation.
8080 College Road
Blacksburg, VA 24060
Sample withdrawal email:
March 1, 20XX
Ms. Vera L. Clark
Washington, DC 20006
Dear Ms. Clark:
I want to express my sincerest appreciation to you for including me in the interview process as you seek candidates for your magazine’s editorial assistant position. I have enjoyed meeting with the members of your staff and I know you have an outstanding operation.
As I explained when we spoke this morning, I respectfully withdraw from consideration for your position, because I have just accepted another employment offer.
My best wishes to you and the staff of Green Magazine. I hope we will have the chance to talk at the next American Magazine Media Conference. Thank you again for the opportunity to explore career possibilities with your office and the courtesies extended to me by so many of your colleagues.
234 College Road
Blacksburg, VA 24060