Types of career-related experience > opportunities within the Career & Professional Development office
Student opportunities: Work and learn in CPD
We offer three programs that enable students to acquire para-professional experience and learn by working in Career & Professional Development. One is for undergraduate students currently enrolled at Virginia Tech. Two opportunities are for graduate students.
Peer Career Advisor (PCA) Program
- Open to first- and second-year students who apply in fall semester.
- Paid position with paid training.
- Three semester commitment: Spring semester paid training, 3-4 hours per week; the following fall through spring semester academic year commitment, 10 hours per week.
- Training, advising, project work to represent the office as a para-professional.
Learn more about the Peer Career Advisor Program
- For graduate students in the Higher Ed or related program.
- Fall through spring semester.
- Paid position.
- Work 20 hours per week.
Learn more about the Graduate Assistantship.
Graduate Practica and Internships
- Open to graduate students from Virginia Tech and other graduate programs and institutions.
- Typically one semester unpaid experience for graduate students to meet the requirements of their graduate programs for a work experience in a professional environment.
- Hours per week depend on the requirements of the graduate program.
Learn more about Graduate Practica and Internships