Student opportunities in Career and Professional Development
Opportunities for currently enrolled undergraduate students:
Peer Career Advisor (PCA) Program
- Peer Career Advisors (PCAs) are trained undergraduate students.
- Main responsibilities include advising, outreach and education, and programming assistance. PCAs are highly-valued members of the CPD team.
- First-year and second-year Virginia Tech students may apply in fall semester to begin training in spring semester. PCAs are paid for their training and work hours.
- Three semester commitment; opportunity to continue beyond that.
Part-time employment for undergraduates
- We hire students to work with our professional staff in employer relations, reception desk, Health Professions Advising, and other areas.
- Our student employees are highly valued members of our staff who acquire resume-building experience and participate in professional development.
- Positions are paid through work-study funding, administered by the Financial Aid office; only students eligible for work-study may apply. (CPD has no authority over the work-study program.)
- Open positions will be posted in Handshake.
Opportunities for graduate students:
Graduate assistantship (GA) position
- For a master's level graduate student at Virginia Tech in the Higher Education program or the Counselor Education program, who is interested in a career in college student services, advising, or human resources.
- Fall through spring semester.
- Paid position.
- Work 20 hours per week.
Graduate practica and internships
- Open to graduate students from Virginia Tech and other institutions.
- Typically one semester to meet requirements of their graduate program for a work experience in a professional environment.
- Unpaid experience.
- Hours per week depend on the requirements of the graduate program.