Types of career-related experience > Opportunities in Career & Professional Development > Graduate practica and internships
Graduate Practica and Internship opportunities in Career & Professional Development are unpaid opportunities for the purpose of assisting graduate students in meeting the requirements of their graduate programs for experience in a professional work environment.
Nature of the graduate practicum or internship experience:
- Exposure to all aspects of Career & Professional Development.
- Advising students through walk-in advising and advising appointments on many career-related issues addressed by our department.
- Presenting workshops and seminars.
- Project-related work which varies by interest of the graduate student and current needs of our department.
- Opportunity to work with a wide variety of staff in our department.
Number of graduate practica positions available per year:
- Varies; typically one to three.
Work term and hours per week:
- Single semester commitment, fall, spring or summer.
- More than one semester possible.
- Less opportunity for student contact during summer.
- May involve training prior to the start of your work semester.
- Hours per week determined by requirements of your graduate program.
- Schedule established for you to accomodate your class schedule.
- First- or second-year master's level graduate students in the Higher Education (HED) program or Counselor Education program.
- Graduate students in other programs and other institutions are also considered and have done practica or internships in our office; students typically are in student affairs, counseling, or related graduate programs.
- Exposure to and experience in a professional career and professional development office environment; opportunity to network.
- Gain knowledge about and experience with career and professional development
resources and programs.
- Schedule flexibility.
Application process and timeline:
- Ideally, contact us by mid-semester prior to your desired practicum or internship semester to discuss your interests and available projects.
Contact for questions:
Ms. Amy McPherson
Senior Associate Director for Student Services