Whether you are interviewing for an internship, other experience during college, a post-graduation job, or admission to graduate school....
Quick tips for interview success
- Thorough prep and appropriate behavior.
- Show up on time and prepared to discuss the job, the organization and how you fit.
- Dress appropriately and have impeccable grooming. An interview is a formal meeting.
- Have an excellent handshake.
- Be honest.
- Focus on what you can do for the employer, not on what the employer can do for you.
- Look, act and speak like a prepared, thoughtful, pleasant person.
- Be confident!
- Be careful not to appear arrogant. Don't assume you have the job in the bag just because you were offered an interview or because people are nice to you.
- On the flip side, don't undersell yourself. The employer wanted to interview you. Talking about your accomplishments is not bragging if it's factual.
- Present your strengths. Don't apologize for what you don't have. If asked to discuss weaknesses, be prepared.
- Remember that listening is the most important communication skill.
- Express thanks in person to everyone you meet, and afterward send thanks in writing.
- Follow the Golden Rule.