Handshakes are extremely important in the job search.
Elements of a good handshake that makes a positive impression:
- Full contact, palm to palm.
- When you extend your right hand, your palm faces left, not up or down.
- Gender neutral. Women and men give and receive the same type of handshake.
- Held for about two to three seconds.
- Eye contact during handshake.
- Exchange verbal introduction or greeting during handshake.
- Smile (unless handshake occurs during expression of condolence or other situation in which a smile would not convey the appropriate message).
Need practice just on the handshake?
If you visit us for drop-in advising or an appointment, we'll be glad to give you feedback on your handshake.