Develop Your Teamwork & Interpersonal Competency
Employer quote: "Teamwork is the basis of success...
for the organization you work for. Being able to work in a team not only helps your career but helps create meaningful business relationships.”
Teamwork and interpersonal competency:
Build and maintain collaborative relationships to work effectively with others in a team setting through shared responsibility, empathy and respect. The ability to manage ones emotions and conflict with others while contributing towards a common goal.
Ways to develop teamwork and interpersonal skills:
- Collaborate with others on a class project where responsibility is shared and not divided.
- Handle difficult conversations in person with respect.
- Join a student organization or team on campus where you can help achieve a common goal.
- When do you feel most comfortable contributing your thoughts and ideas to a group or team? When do you need to speak up? Hold back?
- How do you feel about conflict? How do you typically handle differences of opinions or conflicts? What could you do differently in the future to manage conflict more effectively?
- What does “collaboration” mean to you? Why is collaborating with others important? Who are people you like to collaborate with? Who should collaborate with more often?
Practice interview questions:
- Describe a time where it was important for you to build rapport with someone in order to achieve a goal.
- Tell about a time you collaborated with another person or group to work on a project together – sharing the work, not dividing it.
- Sometimes it’s important to disagree with others to keep a mistake from being made. Tell about a time when you were willing to challenge another person in order to build a positive outcome.