Develop Your Leadership Competency
Employer quote: "Leadership should be balanced...
with a willingness to learn, to hear others' points of view and to work with them. Offering their skills and talents as a resource shows not only leadership but willingness to step up and in. "
Leverage strengths to motivate, collaborate and guide. The ability to use a positive attitude to influence and empower others to reach a shared goal through strategic thinking and effective decision-making.
Ways to develop leadership skills:
- Take on a leadership role in a group or organization.
- Demonstrate initiative at your job/internship by taking on additional responsibilities.
- Motivate team members with a positive attitude and leverage their strengths when delegating work.
- What are your strengths? How do you use these to motivate and lead others?
- How does a leader’s attitude impact the group/team? What are some important traits of an effective leader?
- Do you enjoy making decisions? Why or why not? How do you make decisions? From a place of feeling or logic?
Practice interview questions:
- How do you recognize and leverage the strengths of others to reach a goal?
- Describe your leadership style. Provide an example of when you used this style to lead a group or project.
- Share a time when you had to make an unpopular decision with a group you were leading.