Develop Your Digital Fluency Competency
Employer quote: "The less an employer has to train you...
on a certain skill, the more attractive you will be to an employer. Being able to use digital technologies will help you set yourself apart from other candidates when looking for a job. "
Digital fluency competency:
Maximize new and emerging technologies in order to work, learn and live in a digital society. The ability to apply digital technology to enhance quality, improve productivity and communication, solve problems, and streamline processes.
Ways to develop digital fluency skills:
- Create projects and express ideas through digital tools.
- Learn a new technology or design skill through Lynda.com
- Work with a Virginia Tech librarian to find relevant and credible sources through on-line research.
- When you gather information online for a project or research, how do you evaluate the credibility of the sources you view?
- Reflect on your digital footprint. What can others see about you on-line and what is the first impression someone would have of you based on your on-line brand?
- How do you use technology and social media on a daily basis? How comfortable are you with learning new technology?
Practice interview questions:
- Tell me about a time you used technology to streamline and improve a process.
- You’ve just been assigned to a project involving a new technology. How would you get started?
- What technology-related blogs, podcasts, tweets or websites do you follow? Do you share any information yourself online?