Free professional attire for Virginia Tech undergraduate and graduate students
Career Outfitters Closet open spring 2022
In spring semester 2022, Career Outfitters is launching in a new appointment-based format! This replaces our past annual shopping events. Students may schedule an appointment to shop the clothing closet in Smith Career Center. Students will have 1:1 assistance with fit, size, and style from the Career Outfitters Student Coordinator, or another CPD staff member. This program provides students with free clothing appropriate for career fairs, networking opportunities, and interviews. The appointment-based approach means no waiting in long lines, more flexibility, and increased access to obtain clothing throughout the year.
When / length of appointments:
- Starting spring semester 2022, appointments will be available at various times.
- Appointment sign-up begins Tu. Jan. 18, 2022; view open times and sign up in Handshake.
- Appointments are for 15-minute time blocks, but expect to spend 30 minutes for your process. This allows you time to look at the inventory, make selections, and try on items in a private space.
- Arrive on time because another student might have an appointment following yours.
- Smith Career Center. On arrival, use your Hokie Passport to check in for your appointment at the kiosk in the lobby on the first floor (near the reception desk).
- Keep in mind that we are different from a retail clothing establishment. We have converted a storage room into a clothing closet containing hundreds of donated clothing items. This is part of the reason that you will have an appointment with a staff member to guide you in looking at the inventory and making selections to try on.
What to wear, what to bring, and being prepared for your appointment to try on clothing:
- Please arrive clean; if you have exercised, please shower before your appointment.
- Wear undergarments that you would wear with the type of clothing you wish to try. You will be able to try on clothing in a private space.
- If you are looking for clothing or accessories to go with something you already have, BRING the item(s) you already have to see how it looks with the items you try.
- Bring a bag or something to carry away your new clothes/accessories if needed. (We do not have a supply of shopping bags. ;-)
- It is helpful if you know your clothing size. If you don't, we can take your measurements to help determine clothing sizes to try.
- Everyone must comply with university health and safety guidelines, including wearing of masks.
- Due to space limitations, you may not bring a friend with you to your appointment.
How a staff member will assist you:
- A staff member will assist you in selecting items from our clothing closet that you may then try on in a private space. The staff member can give you guidance on selections, and can advise you on possibilities for alterations.
Number of clothing items you can take:
- The purpose of Career Outfitters is to give students the opportunity to have one outfit, free of charge, once per academic year. An outfit would be: a skirt or pants, a jacket, a shirt or blouse, and one accessory. A matched suit means matching pants and jacket, or matching skirt and jacket.
- The clothing is yours to keep.
- Of course whether you are able to find a full outfit that works for you will depend on what has been donated to our inventory.
We are grateful to the community for the many donations we have received for Career Outfitters. We could not offer this service without donations!
Types of donations accepted:
- We will accept donations of unused and gently used clothing that is suitable for professional and business casual attire for college students to wear for professional occasions such as job interviews, career fairs, graduate school interviews, and graduate school fairs. We accept suits, pants, skirts, jackets, shirts, blouses, sweaters, and accessories such as shoes, belts, ties, purses, and bags that are appropriate for professional occasions.
- We accept all sizes of clothing. We are in particular need of: feminine sizes 0, 2, 4, XS and small; and masculine pants sizes 30-34, and jackets and suits sizes 38-42.
- Please do not bring casual or social attire, and please do not bring stained or damaged items.
How to schedule a donation:
- Call our office in advance to schedule a drop-off time. We have a convenient location where you can bring your vehicle IF we know your arrival time. After your speak with us to schedule your delivery, we will email you with precise instructions on where you can bring your vehicle.
- When you come to campus, you must comply with Virginia Tech COVID-19 safety guidelines, including wearing masks indoors.
- More about how to donate at Career Outfitters on Facebook.
- This program launched in 2013, beginning with several months of collecting donated items for students.
- Starting in 2013-2014, we held Career Outfitters as a shopping event once each academic year. We had one exception in 2018-2019 when we held shopping dates in both August 2018 and February 2019.
- 2019-2020 was our seventh academic year of holding an event to offer free professional attire to students through Career Outfitters; it was held in early spring semester, on January 31, 2020.
- For the 2020-2021 year, safety requirements made large in-person events impossible, and our advising contacts were held by Zoom or phone.
- In planning for 2021-2022, we re-thought the Career Outfitters concept into a clothing closet service where students could schedule an appointment to try on clothing throughout the year, and not be limited to a one-time event with a long waiting line. We believe this expands access and opportunity for our Virginia Tech students, and is responsive to ongoing needs.
- For all the years we have offered this service, we are grateful to all who have donated clothing, and we thank the many volunteers, both students and university employees, who have helped make it possible for us to have given away thousands of clothing items to Virginia Tech students.