Career and Professional Development maintains a student advisory board each academic year.
Beginning in March, we seek applications from students to serve on the advisory board for the next academic year. In September, we seek applications from first-year students to join the advisory board for that year. Complete details are provided below.
For Career and Professional Development to gain ideas and feedback regarding multiple facets of our operations. As we continually strive to engage students with our programs, services, and employer partners, advisory board discussion topics will cover multiple facets of our operation including career options and decision-making, internships and other ways to gain career-related experience, the job search process, the process of applying to graduate or professional school, and skill development for employment success. The board will review and discuss programming, technology, policies, and outreach. Note: Board members do not provide advising services for students.
Students from first-year through Ph.D. level who will be enrolled at Virginia Tech with the ability to attend the scheduled meetings during the academic year in the Smith Career Center on the Blacksburg campus.
Types of students we are seeking:
- Representatives across academic disciplines and academic levels.
- Have an interest in contributing to the mission of Career and Professional Development at Virginia Tech.
- Will represent other students with similar interests and aspirations.
- Will engage in conversation with Career and Professional Development staff, with employers, and with each other in order to offer insights and suggestions.
- Will commit to attending all scheduled meetings. [First year students accepted to join the board will begin attending on the second meeting of fall semester.]
Meeting schedule for 2017-2018:
- The 2017-2018 board will meet three times during fall semester and four times during spring semester.
- All meetings are on Tuesdays.
- Time: 3:00-5:00 pm.
- Fall 2017 dates:
[First year students accepted to join the board will begin attending on the second meeting of fall semester.]
- Sep. 26
- Oct. 24
- Nov. 28
- Spring 2018 dates:
- Jan. 23
- Feb. 27
- March 27
- April 24
Possibility of participation the following year:
The 2017-2018 board members will be able to apply for the 2018-2019 academic year if eligible.
- For first-year students applying for the 2017-2018 board:
Complete an application: Download application form: MS Word docx.
- Open, complete, save your completed version.
- Submit by email, or deliver hard-copy in person (whichever is most convenient for you).
- If by email, send to Ms. Ali Mayer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If in person, at Smith Career Center.
For first-year students applying for the 2017-2018 board: Friday, Oct. 13, 2017, 5:00 pm.
Contact for questions:
Ms. Ali Mayer, Graduate Assistant, Career and Professional Development
What happens after students apply:
Applications will be reviewed, and selected students will be contacted by Wed. Oct. 18, 2017.
Thank you for your interest!