First Destination Post-Graduation Survey & Report > Message to 2016-2017 grads about the survey
2016-2017 grads: Thank you to the 3917 of you who reported your first destination after graduation! Your survey is now closed.
Learn first destinations of new grads after your undergraduate degree, whether employed or continuing education, and career prep and experience during college.
Completing the survey was a step in your GRADUATION TIMELINE specified by the University Registrar.
If you were still job-hunting or applying to grad school, you could state that on the survey. The survey stayed open through six months after commencement, so you could update your response until the survey closed. It was quick and easy, and we sent reminders.
2016-2017 academic year degree completion | survey timing:
December 2016 grads survey: Opened Nov. 15, 2016. Closed mid-June 2017.
May+Summer 2017 grads survey: Opened Apr. 2017. Closed Nov. 14, 2017, 11:59pm.
Based on the graduation term you specified in your Application for Degree [AFD] with the University Registrar.
If you have questions about graduation, degrees, diplomas, etc., see:
Office of the University Registrar: Graduation > Frequently Asked Questions.
Fast, user-friendly survey:
30 seconds to answer the first, most important question.
After that, no error messages if you left a response blank. We hoped that all grads would respond to all items, and we respected your decision.
It took about five minutes to complete the survey.
Logging in | technical support:
Log in to the survey was with your VT PID and password (no 2-factor).
If you needed password assistance, consult Computing.vt.edu: password information.
Over 3700 graduates logged in and completed the survey. It is now closed.
Individual responses are confidential:
We do not publish and we do not share with anyone individual names or sets of responses attached to individual names or identifying information.
We list responses and data by major, college, university. Response was open through mid-November and we expect to publish the 2016-2017 report in January 2018.
We will publish lists, by major, showing:
- job title, employer, location
- grad degree, progam, institution, location
Why we asked:
- The information is valuable to current and future students — and to academic departments, to advisors who help students, to employers who hire Virginia Tech graduates, and to parents of prospective students. Data from the survey are used to respond to a wide variety of internal and external requests for information.
- Federal law requires that universities provide certain information to current and prospective students. The First Destination Post-Graduation REPORT [based on the survey] is used by the Virginia Tech Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness: Student Consumer Information to meet federal requirements for disclosure and reporting of data on "student outcomes," specifically employment and graduate and professional school "placement" following the undergraduate degree.
Why we hoped you would respond:
Because you're a part of the university community.
Current and future students have the same questions you have.
Because past graduates responded, we can tell you, for the university, by college, and by major:
- First destinations of graduates: employment, continuing education, or seeking.
- Graduate and professional schools reported by grads.
- Employers, job titles and locations reported by grads.
- Salary data.
- What grads wished they had done differently.
All this, and more is in the First Destination Post-Graduation Report.
Some form of this survey has been conducted since the 1970s.
View First Destination report.
On behalf of the university community, THANK YOU!
Donna Cassell Ratcliffe, Director, Career & Professional Development
Catherine Copeland, Senior Assistant Director for IT | Assessment