H4H & OCI > Dates & deadlines for students
More about how to participate in On-Campus Interviewing [OCI]
- Employers often book their interview dates months in advance, and they make plans to travel to campus, with associated travel expenses.
- Over 200 to up to 300 employing organizations schedule on-campus interview visits each year.
- Many employers conduct campus interviews once per year; some conduct campus interviews twice per year.
- They invest planning, time and financial resources to visit campus, and they expect to meet with well-prepared students.
- Log in to Hokies4Hire to read the job descriptions to determine your interest in each job; determine if you have the qualifications the employer is seeking; and apply if you chose to do so.
- Be aware that:
- Applying does not guarantee you an interview.
- Applying does not require you to sign up for an interview if you are offered one.
- For your advance planning, note that:
- Application deadlines are based on the week in which the interview occurs, and are usually about three weeks before the interview week.
- In 2017-2018, fall semester has 10 interview weeks, and spring semester has 8 interview weeks.
- The first application deadline, for the first interview week in fall, is very early September, so check Hokies4Hire before then to view the jobs, so you can apply to jobs that are a fit for you.
- Employers review resumes of the students who applied, and employers select students to interview.
- Employers may select alternates in case not all selected students sign up.
- If you are selected for an interview, you'll receive an email telling you how to sign up for an interview.
- Selected students are not required to sign up, but if you do sign up, and you don't cancel by the deadline, you have committed yourself to attend.
- Prior to signing up, read the Cancellation & Missed Interview Policy.
- Interviews are usually, but not always, 30 minutes long. Each interview begins at a specific time.
- Sign-up dates are usually, but not always, the week prior to the interview week.
(For interview weeks immediately following school break weeks, sign-ups are usually two weeks prior.)
Selected students have a four-day period to sign up to be guaranteed an interview spot; specific interview time is first-come, first-served.
- If the employer chose alternate students, alternates have a two-day period to try to sign up if there are any open slots in the schedule (no guarantees for alternates). Selected students may also try to sign up during this period, but there is no longer a guarantee of an open slot.
- Cancellation can occur throughout the sign-up period.
- Deadline for all sign-up and cancellation is 11:59 p.m. Thursday of the sign-up period.
- Prepare for your interview(s)!
- Signing up for an interview is your choice, and is a professional business appointment and commitment. As stated above, prior to signing up, you are required to read the Cancellation and Missed Interview Policy.
- Location: Smith Career Center, second floor check-in and waiting area.
- Factor in time for parking and arrival so that you can check in and be seated five or ten minutes prior to your interview start time.
- There are changing areas in the women's and men's restrooms on the second floor; you are welcome to use those facilities to change in to your interview attire.