Peer Career Advisor Program > How to apply
Applications are accepted:
- In mid-fall semester
- From first-year and sophomore students
- To begin paid training in spring semester
- To serve as trained PCAs during the following academic year.
Details below, including qualifications, eligibility, and time commitment.
- Interest in helping Virginia Tech students with career and job search concerns.
- Ability to relate and interact with individuals both one-on-one and in group situations.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Take initiative and follow through on necessary details.
- Demonstrate professional communication when working with supervisors, co-workers and students.
- Willingness to work in a team setting and build rapport with other PCAs and the Career and Porfessional Development staff.
- First-year students and sophomores from all majors are welcome to apply.
- Minimum GPA of 2.8.
- Three semesters:
- Paid training in spring 2017, 3-4 hours per week during hours of noon-3:00 pm.
- Work the 2017-2018 academic year, 10 hours per week. [Most of our PCAs continue to work through senior year, although this is not required.]
- Attendance at extended training in January and August 2017.
- Attend weekly hour-long staff meetings on Friday mornings.
- Availability during some weekend and evening hours for special events and presentations.
- If you have future plans for study abroad or other short-term opportunities, feel free to talk to us.
Is the position paid?
- Yes. The position is paid an hourly rate. Candidates will be informed of the hourly rate during the application process.
- This is eligible for Work-Study funding; but the program is not limited to Work-Study students.
- PCAs are also welcome to attend the annual etiquette dinner free of charge.
Is academic credit possible?
- Academic credit can only be granted by your academic department, so you must consult your academic department on its policies and procedures if you wish to earn academic credit. If that is allowed by your academic department, the PCA program coordinator in Career and Professional Development will work with you to help you meet the requirements of your department.
Fall info session:
- Info session for interested students is held before the application deadline.
Fall 2016 info session: Wed. Oct. 26, 2016, 4:00-4:30 pm.
Open house before and after: stop by and ask questions 3:30-4:00pm or 4:30-5:00pm.
When to apply:
- We recruit PCAs during fall semester for begin training in spring semester.
- Applications will be accepted from Oct. 20 to Nov. 7, 2016.
Application process and deadline:
For students who would begin as PCAs in spring 2017:
- Application form [.docx] with details and instructions.
- Resume. We strongly encourage you to use our resume guide.
- Cover letter. Please use our cover letter guide.
- Mon. Nov. 7, 2016, 5:00 pm, in the Smith Career Center.
- Note our office closes at 5:00 pm sharp.
Interviews and selection:
- Applicants selected for interviews will have a 30-minute interview, scheduled to occur on one of these dates: Fr. Nov. 11, Tues. Nov. 15, or Wed. Nov. 16, 2016.
- After interviews, offers will be made by early December.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a PCA!
Contact for questions:
Ms. Becca Scott