1. Prepare for a fair | know what to do there
Tip: DON'T walk up to an employer booth and ask "what does your company do?" This is a serious DON'T!
2. Research attending employers before the fair:
Employers attending subject to change through event date, beyond control of Career & Professional Development.
- Attending employers list will be posted prior to the fair.
Includes types of jobs, positions, majors, academic levels, and work authorizations desired.
- The Fairs App will be linked when ready.
When posted will include booth map with employer location key [accurate as of TBA].
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Squires Student Center | Commonwealth Ballroom
Attire: Business casual
9:30 student check-in opens
Backpack drop-off | Room 217
10:00 am - 4:00 pm | Job fair open to students
Please note some employers may depart early due to travel schedules.
This is beyond the control of Career and Professional Development.
Visit our handshake booth when you arrive!
Student quote: "Dear Career center, I just wanted to say thank you for your help at the Connection job fair. I was nervous before coming, and saw your "handshake booth" when I arrived, and figured, why not stop there. The advisor at the booth was so helpful — she not only had me practice my handshake, but also my elevator pitch, and gave me feedback after the first try. I tried again, using her suggestions, and had my intro down perfectly! It really gave me the confidence to talk to employers knowing in advance what to say in a concise and valuable manner. Thank you to the advisors who helped me today, and to Career & Professional Development! I really appreciate it! Sincerely, [VT student]
- Talk with employers during the job fair on Tuesday.
- Some employers will stay for next-day interviews; some won't.
- It's perfectly okay for you to ask employers if, when, and how they plan to conduct interviews.
- Some employers participate in the On-Campus Interviewing Program their interview date occurs sometime during 10 weeks of fall or 8 weeks of spring; this is separate and different from the job fair interview process.
- Each employer decides whom to interview.
- During the job fair or later that evening, employers will set up their interview schedules by inviting students to interview.
- Be prompt in checking and responding to messages; this is a tight turn-around for scheduling.
- The employer should tell you the building location for the interview; Squires OR Smith Career Center. You'll check in at the building, so you don't need to know a room or booth number, just the building.
- Once you commit to an interview, you are commiting to attend. No-showing is unacceptable!
Read: Cancellation & missed interview policy for students
Interview day details for students
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Squires Student Center OR Smith Career Center
The employer should tell you the building location for the interview (no room/table number is necessary).
Attire: Interview attire & appearance
When to arrive:
8:00am for 8:30am interviews.
At least 15 mins prior to all other interview start times.
Where to check in:
Squires: outside Commonwealth Ballroom.
Smith Career Center: SCC second floor.
No-showing is unacceptable!
Cancellation & missed interview policy for students
Contact for questions
Career & Professional Development at Virginia Tech