1. Prepare for a fair | know what to do there
Tip: DON'T walk up to an employer booth and ask "what does your company do?" This is a serious DON'T!
2. Research attending employers before the fair:
Employers attending subject to change through event date, beyond control of Career & Professional Development.
- Attending employers list was posted prior to the fair. No longer available.
Includes types of jobs, positions, majors, academic levels, and work authorizations desired.
- The Fairs App
Includes booth map with employer location key [accurate as of Tu. Oct. 11, 2016, 9:30am].
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Squires Student Center | Commonwealth Ballroom
Attire: Business casual
9:30 student check-in opens
Backpack drop-off | Room 217
10:00 am - 4:00 pm | Job fair open to students
Please note some employers may depart early due to travel schedules.
This is beyond the control of Career and Professional Development.
- Talk with employers during the job fair on Tuesday.
- Some employers will stay for next-day interviews; some won't.
- It's perfectly okay for you to ask employers if, when, and how they plan to conduct interviews.
- Some employers participate in the On-Campus Interviewing Program their interview date occurs sometime during 10 weeks of fall or 8 weeks of spring; this is separate and different from the job fair interview process.
- Each employer decides whom to interview.
- During the job fair or later that evening, employers will set up their interview schedules by inviting students to interview.
- Be prompt in checking and responding to messages; this is a tight turn-around for scheduling.
- The employer should tell you the building location for the interview; Squires OR Smith Career Center. You'll check in at the building, so you don't need to know a room or booth number, just the building.
- Once you commit to an interview, you are commiting to attend. No-showing is unacceptable!
Read: Cancellation & missed interview policy for students
Interview day details for students
Wednesday, October 19, 2016
Squires Student Center OR Smith Career Center
The employer should tell you the building location for the interview (no room/table number is necessary).
Attire: Interview attire & appearance
When to arrive:
8:00am for 8:30am interviews.
At least 15 mins prior to all other interview start times.
Where to check in:
Squires: outside Commonwealth Ballroom.
Smith Career Center: SCC second floor.
No-showing is unacceptable!
Cancellation & missed interview policy for students
Contact for questions
Career & Professional Development at Virginia Tech