Post-Graduation Survey & Reports > About the 2016-2017 Survey
Learn the first destinations of new grads after your undergraduate degree, whether employed or continuing education.
Other info related to career prep and experience during college.
Still job-hunting or applying to grad school?
That is common, so you can state that on the survey.
The survey stays open to you through six months after commencement, so you can update your response until the survey closes. It's quick and easy to do, and we will send you reminders.
Degree completion | survey timing:
Dec 2016 grads survey: Opened Nov. 15, 2016. Closes mid-June 2017.
May+Sum 2017 grads survey: Opens early Apr. 2017. Closes mid-Nov. 2017.
Based on the graduation term you specified in your Application for Degree with the University Registrar.
If you have questions about graduation, degrees, diplomas, etc., see:
Office of the University Registrar: Graduation > Frequently Asked Questions.
Fast, user-friendly survey:
30 seconds to answer the first, most important question.
After that, no error messages if you leave a response blank. We hope you'll respond to all items, and we respect your decision.
It takes about five minutes to complete the survey.
Logging in | technical support:
Log in to the survey with your VT PID and password (no 2-factor).
If you need password assistance, consult Computing.vt.edu: password information.
Each year, over 3,000 new graduates log in and complete the survey. Technical glitches are uncommon.
However, if you encounter an error message in the survey after logging in, please contact Mr. James Lanter, email@example.com, and send the exact wording of the error message.
Individual responses are confidential:
We do not publish and we do not share with anyone individual names or sets of responses.
We list data and facts by major, college, university.
We publish lists, by major, showing:
- job title/employer/location
- grad degree/progam/institution/location
Why we ask:
- The information is valuable — to academic departments, to employers who hire Virginia Tech graduates, and especially to current and future students and their parents. Data from the survey is used to respond to a wide variety of internal and external requests for information. The past years' Reports are online viewable by anyone.
- Federal law requires that universities provide certain information to current and prospective students. The Post-Graduation REPORT [based on the survey] is used by the Virginia Tech Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness: Student Consumer Information to meet federal requirements for disclosure and reporting of data on "student outcomes," specifically employment and graduate and professional school "placement" following the undergraduate degree.
Why you should respond:
Because you're a part of the university community.
Current and future students have the same questions you have.
Because past graduates responded, we can tell you, for the university, by college, and by major:
- First destinations of graduates: employment, continuing education, or seeking.
- Graduate and professional schools reported by grads.
- Employers, job titles and locations reported by grads.
- Salary data.
- What grads wished they had done differently.
All this, and more is in the annual Post-Graduation Report.
Some form of this survey has been conducted since the 1970s.
View all annual reports and multi-year summaries.
On behalf of the university community, THANK YOU!
Donna Cassell Ratcliffe, Director, Career & Professional Development
Catherine Copeland, Senior Assistant Director for IT | Assessment