Career and Professional Development is open year-round when the university is open.
Normal business hours: Monday - Friday | 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Planned closings listed below.
Unplanned and weather-related university closings, announced on VT home: www. vt.edu.
For faculty who wish to refer students, please see our faculty resources with details on referring classes or groups to Career and Professional Development.
- Some closings are noted on Virginia Tech academic calendars.
- VT holidays & closing schedule on Human Resources website.
- Mon. Sep. 5, 2016 | Labor Day
- Thur. Oct. 20, 2016: university closes at 2:00 pm; Career & Professional Development walk-in advising ends at 1:30 pm this date.
- Wed. Nov. 23, noon, through Fri. Nov. 25, 2016 | Thanksgiving holiday
- Fri. Dec. 23, through Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 | Winter closing
- Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 | Martin Luther King Day
- Mon. May 29, 2017 | Memorial Day
Career and Professional Development ADDITIONAL closings include:
- Mon. & Tues. Aug. 8 & 9, 2016 | staff meeting
- Additional closings TBA
Unplanned closings | impacts on services and events
If the university closes for all or any portion of a day [for weather or any other reason], Career and Professional Development must also close at the same times. Any events and services sponsored by our office that were scheduled to occur when the university closes are also cancelled.
If university is closed: While our staff would very much like to accommodate On-Campus Interviewing employers who have already travelled to Blacksburg prior to an emergency or weather-related closing, for safety reasons for students, for our staff, and for our guests, we are not able to be open during any type of university closing.
If university has late opening: On-Campus Interviewing will open when the university opens.
Employers or students with scheduled interviews: contact employer relations staff in advance if you have questions or anticipate travel problems due to weather.
Career and Professional Development publicizes and endorses many events that we do not directly sponsor and over which we have no control, including many career and job fairs. For possible cancellations or rescheduling, you should place reliance upon the specific event website (not our event list) and upon the contact person for the specific event.
Career fairs list has links to each event website where you will find sponsor/contact info.