- Career and Professional Development is open year-round when the university is open, EXCEPT DURING planned closings of our office listed below. Please note university planned closings AND information about unplanned closings and where those are announced.
- When open, our normal business hours are Monday - Friday | 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Some closings are noted on Virginia Tech academic calendars.
- VT holidays & closing schedule on Human Resources website.
- Mon. Sep. 5, 2016 | Labor Day
- Thur. Oct. 20, 2016: university closes at 2:00 pm; Career & Professional Development walk-in advising ends at 1:30 pm this date.
- Wed. Nov. 23, noon, through Fri. Nov. 25, 2016 | Thanksgiving holiday
- Fri. Dec. 23, through Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 | Winter closing
- Mon. Jan. 16, 2017 | Martin Luther King Day
- Fri. May 12, 2017: university offices open at 10:00 am
- Mon. May 29, 2017 | Memorial Day
- Mon. & Tues. July 3 & 4, 2017 | Independence Day holiday
- Mon. Sep. 4, 2017 | Labor Day
Career and Professional Development ADDITIONAL closings include:
- Mon. & Tues. Aug. 8 & 9, 2016 | staff meeting
- Wed. & Thur. Aug. 9 & 10, 2017 | staff meeting
- Additional closings TBA
If the university closes for all or any portion of a day [for weather or any other reason], Career and Professional Development must also close at the same times. Any events and services sponsored by our office that were scheduled to occur when the university closes are also cancelled.
If university is closed: While our staff would very much like to accommodate On-Campus Interviewing employers who have already traveled to Blacksburg prior to an emergency or weather-related closing, for safety reasons for students, for our staff, and for our guests, we are not able to be open during any type of university closing.
If university has late opening: On-Campus Interviewing will open when the university opens.
Employers or students with scheduled interviews: contact employer relations staff in advance if you have questions or anticipate travel problems due to weather.
Career & Professional Development publicizes and helps students prepare for job fairs (and other events) that our office does not sponsor and over which we have no control. For possible cancellations or rescheduling, you should place reliance upon the specific event website (not our event list) and upon the sponsoring organization and contact person for the specific event. See the career fairs list which has links to each event website where the sponsor should provide contact their information.